Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Bible Cutting

Last Sunday, January 26, 2014 I decided to attend the Holy Mass at 6:30 in the morning. I sat at the third row bench from the front because I wanna listen eagerly to the priest's homily. (Also, for me not to feel sleepy during the mass.)

I was so happy to see that the priest who will celebrate the Holy Mass is the priest whom I admire for sometime because he is indeed "handsome". and always wear a smiling face. I have attended his Holy Mass several times and I guess he already knows me by my face as he smiled at me often, well, he does to everybody else who attends mass. 

Read, Pray, and Live the Bible



Reading, Praying, and Living the Holy Bible is the main topic of the priest's homily for the Holy Mass today. To make it easy for everybody else to understand, the priest shared a really good story which is in some sense funny. It is about a man who does Bible Cutting. Bible cutting means reading Bible scriptures whichever verse your finger lands and points at. 

So one day this man tried Bible cutting and said to himself that whatever verse he points and read for that day is what the Lord God wants him to do. So he closed his eyes, open the Bible and point at the part he wanted.

Matthew 27:5 - Judas hanged himself.

The man was surprised about the verse he read and said to himself "I don't think the Lord God wants me to do the same as Judas did."

and so the man tried bible cutting again..

Luke 10:37 - “Go and do likewise” 

He can't believe what the second verse told him and so he said to himself "No, this is not what the Lord God wants me to do."

and so he tried bible cutting for the last time..

John 13:27 - "What you are about to do, do quickly."
the man was totally startled and can't believe what he just read. 

The moral lesson of the story: Read between the lines. Do not read and understand the verses in the Holy Bible out of context because “A text, out of context, is a pretext.” One should always look closely and discover the real meaning that is hidden or implied in a certain verse rather than sticking with what is explicitly stated.

So that's the story shared by the priest during his homily last Sunday. It was a bit funny but has a real moral lesson.

Next Sunday I plan to attend the Holy Mass again at the same time 6:30 in the morning and hopefully the same priest will celebrate the mass.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. God really wanted his people to read his scriptures because he wants us to know him..

    The secret to fully understand the bible is to pray first and ask for the holy spirit to speak.

    God bless you my friend! Meditate his word night and day-Joshua 1:8

    ReplyDelete