Friday, March 28, 2014

Health Benefits of Mung Beans (Munggo)


One of my all time favorite dish to cook and eat is Ginisang Monggo. If you're not aware, balatong or munggo is the Tagalog word for mung means. Others refer it to moog, choroko, green or golden gram. 

Mung beans are very tasty legumes that offers a lot of health benefits. They have many nutritional components that is perfect for one's cardio-vascular health. Mung beans also has 0-cholesterol, Vitamin C, potassium, and has low saturated fat contents that helps in reducing the risk of heart ailments, and diabetes, as well as aids in regulating blood pressure.

For pregnant woman like me, the Vitamin A in monggo beans is good for the vision development of my baby. Also, the Vitamin B2 and B3 also helps in his/her cellular formation. Additionally, the folate I get from eating monggo benefits my baby's brain development and building his/her red blood cells.

Among the best things about mung beans is that it's definitely cheap and can be easily bought at the supermarkets. Aside from my favorite ginisang munggo, I also love turning munggo into a healthy and easy to cook dessert - munggo with milk and sugar.


This tasty dessert only needs sugar and evaporated milk. After boiling the munggo, I just need to mix sugar and evaporated milk, then let it cool for a while before placing it inside the fridge. Sometimes, I make munggo ice candy too.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment